Sunday 1 May 2016

Fake strawberries to fool the birds

I made some fake strawberries to put birds off eating the real ones. The idea is that the birds peck them and go "ooh, nasty, they're rock solid and taste like nothing", they really are, they're made out of stones painted with acrylic paint (the red took several coats to get that much coverage). So, the idea is, the bird reasons that the whole strawberry patch is not worth bothering with. They actually look surprisingly realistic from a distance, even though they look pretty rubbish close up.
I can't help imagining that this won't work and I'm going to have to buy some netting or put sticks in to stop the birds. Still worth a try.
I've also had a go at making caterpillar defences around my brassicas. Before:
After:
Tada!
I used Gardenskill Build-a-Balls. It seemed much easier than when I tried to lash the canes together with garden wire and string last year and will hopefully be sturdier. It has a hole at the back because my net isn't quite big enough, so the butterflies will almost certainly get in there, although hopefully not as many.
In other news, I put all my seedlings outside under a cloche to get used to living outdoors. Everything seems still to be alive so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment