Saturday 21 June 2014

Day one in the garden

We just moved into a new house and my plan is to transform the entire back garden into a giant vegetable patch - and preferably an organic one that looks pretty at that. This blog will document the transformation and my triumphs and failures and what I learn along the way.

This plan is based considerably more on optimism than knowledge. I've got about 8 years of gardening experience and most of that experience tells me that I find flowers a lot easier to grow than veg.

The garden is a pretty average sized back garden on the back of an Outer London semi. At the moment it mainly consists of grass, a load of overgrown shrubs, a large shed and a concrete path that mysteriously stops short of the right-hand corner of the shed.

The original plan was to cut down all the shrubs and then lay out the garden in a series of beds. I also kind of hoped an attractive layout would materialise in my head and I'd just know what to do with it. But two things have got in the way of that. The first is that I have chronic pain and I'm in a flare up at the moment, so cutting down a load of overgrown shrubs is rather outside the scope of things it's sensible for me to do right now. And secondly, we just went to B&Q and I spotted a load of vegetable seedlings and seeds that
you can still sow in June and got all excited.

So, the revised plan is to start by digging up the patch of ground next to the shed and plant the vegetables I bought there and go from there.

I watered the spot today because we haven't had rain in days and it currently looks rock hard. I've got my fingers crossed that this will make it easier to dig, as my back is definitely not up to very hard work at the moment. Also, I spotted a cabbage white butterfly while I was taking these photos, so before I get planting, I need to find a way to protect my brassicas. The last time I tried to grow a brassica (broccoli), I ended up growing roughly equal quantities by weight of broccoli and caterpillars, making the the broccoli pretty much inedible.


No comments:

Post a Comment