Sunday 11 October 2015

Pumpkin patch




My pumpkin patch is looking good, providing you crop it down to focus on the pumpkins. Seen in the context of the garden as a whole, everything is decidedly past its best.
It has quite an autumnal vibe going on. Best thing I've found out is that those sweet dumpling winter squashes are sweet, delicious and beautiful, and apart from getting powdery mildew, once I'd given the soil plenty of manure, they were pretty low maintenance. I highly recommend them to anyone who has enough space.
I now have a dilemma for next year: do I grow cucumbers again? I ate a lot of them, which made them a good crop for the garden (I've had a lot of things that didn't produce much and other things like chard that produced plenty, but which I didn't eat so much of), but cucumbers are more prone to powdery mildew than the other cucurbits, so they get it first then spread it to the other plants. I'm not sure whether to grow both again or to leave out the cucumbers. If I do grow cucumbers again, I need to check them much more regularly for signs of powdery mildew and remove all the affected leaves or perhaps even spray them with neem oil weekly as a preventive measure. My third alternative is to use a non-organic cure and my fourth is to let it go like this year, which certainly cuts down the prettiness, but doesn't seem to have harmed the squashes. My big problem with the neem oil is that it seems to mess up spray containers and I've had difficulty finding a container that's willing to keep spraying diluted neem oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment