Sunday 22 November 2015

First frost and cayenne pepper success

We had our first frost of the season last night. My nasturtiums in the front garden have clearly not survived it, which made me rather worried for my back garden vegetables.

So I went out to have a look at if my cayenne peppers or bell peppers were still salvageable. The answer with the bell peppers was a resounding no, the answer with the cayenne peppers appears to be yes:

But I can't imagine they like frost, so I picked them and brought them in. Cayenne pepper strikes me as way too hot for me to eat in fresh pepper form - I can more imagine accidentally ruining a chilli con carne, so I pretty much don't dare to put them in food. Instead, I have two potential plans for them. Firstly I'm planning to include them in a Christmas wreath and secondly, we've had a spate of fox clubs chewing the ends off car aerials in our area (ours has already been partially masticated), if that starts happening again I'll be then I'll be giving fox cubs the shock of their lives with cayenne juice rubbed on the aerial.
In rather less good news, my leeks are all having to go in the bin, they have some sort of red insect in them. A search of the Internet suggests that a) the pests are allium leaf miners and b) now I have them the only remedy is disposal and crop rotation to avoid them coming up in next year's. They're in all of my leeks, so we're going to dig them up as soon as the ground becomes workably warm. The correct solution, which I've now discovered too late for this year is I should also have added a horticultural fleece from October to November as barrier protection to protect the leeks from them.
Probably an allium leaf miner

No comments:

Post a Comment