Sunday 9 October 2016

Clearing out the garden

We decided to clear out the garden while the weather was still good. It's possible I could have got a little longer out of the tomatoes, but we wanted to take advantage of the good weather.
The garden now has some permanent fixtures in it, so it doesn't look as empty over winter any more. The sage in the herb patch and a few of the other herbs are permanent. So is the apple tree at the end and the stevia and raspberry plants (although the raspberry plant will be cut right back in February). I've also now planted Mr Fothergill's wildflower woodland mixture right at the back behind the apple tree because my abysmal failure to grow vegetables up that end of the garden this year made me think I should probably cut my losses and go for something pretty instead.
I've also sewn up the worst of the holes in the fleece protecting my leeks from allium leaf miners. I don't know if it'll work, but my entire leek crop was ruined last year, so it's got to be worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment