Friday 29 September 2017

What to do with a tough, oversized courgette

I picked my largest courgette of the year today. It was huge. Here's a picture of it on a chair so you can see it in context.
It was so huge that I had to cut it into 3 to weigh it:


In total it weighed 4.300 kg.
Unfortunately, when I looked at the insides it didn't look too enticing as a courgette. My second largest courgette had been fine and I'd made courgette, parmesan and herb soup out of it. This one, though, was much tougher, with a thick, leathery skin and a different texture.
Once I'd scooped the seeds out (because I wanted to save some and I didn't want them to go on my compost heap), what it did remind me of was a squash - especially given how thick and hard its skin was.
So I decided to roast it like I would with a squash.
I smeared it with olive oil then stuck it in the oven at 180° for 40 minutes like I would with butternut squash. I then seasoned it with salt and pepper and grated parmesan over it for flavour. It wasn't great just roasted, but it was fine for a roasted squash soup. I made my smoky roasted pepper and squash soup.
The texture is fine and so is the taste, which is great, because it means I don't have to waste the squash.
In other news, there have been colourful visitors in the garden. The Surrey parakeets turned up and helped themselves to my sunflower seeds.
The garden as a whole is looking decidedly tatty now. I'm not sure if my squashes are still gaining any extra size or ripeness given how dead the leaves look. My plan is to gather them in and sow some green manure and some onions in their bed on the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment