Sunday 5 April 2020

Rushing to get seeds sown to take advantage of the hot weather

It's the first weekend in April and the weather is as warm as summer already. So the first thing I did was take all my seedlings out of the greenhouse during the day, as they're mainly plants that aren't keen on high temperatures, such as broad beans, runner beans and kale.
I now have to make a decision about whether to bring the ones I hadn't yet started hardening off back inside the greenhouse overnight or assume the weather's so warm they can just stay out there. My gut says the latter. I'm working such long days at the moment that there's just too strong a chance that I'll forget to bring them back out tomorrow and leave them to scorch. I might do 50:50 to hedge my bets and see if I notice a difference.
The second thing I did was rush to plant all of my April seeds so that they can take advantage of this warm, sunny weather to get a head start. I've now sown all my root vegetables (in my case: carrots, beetroot and chard in the ground today, celeriac in pots today and parsnips in the ground a week or two ago). My carrots this year are Flyaway F1, which promises it's resistant to carrot fly. I hope this is true, as I've planted a lot of it.
The reason I've planted so many carrots this year is because they're vegetables we eat a lot of and it's best to grow food you actually eat where you can, especially in times like the present when shopping is difficult.
I already planted my pak choi out in March, and it's now germinated.
I have it in slug rings because I was worried about slugs and snails scoffing the lot – they're very fond of my brassica seedlings. But so far, even the seedlings that have sprouted outside of the rings have survived. My purple sprouting broccoli has also sprouted in the ground and has also stayed safe from slugs so far. I've now also planted red cabbage in the ground (I should really have planted it last month, but I didn't have time or energy) and all my other brassicas (the kale, kohlrabi, turnips and rocket) are in pots because of the difficulty I've had getting them started in the ground in the past. I think everything except the rocket may be particularly susceptible to slugs and snails. The rocket's just picky - although happy enough to self-seed for reasons I will never understand.
The beans are not yet in the ground, but I have decided to go for floral borders around my bean bed this year.
I think I can get away with this without any loss of growing space, as my broad beans don't last past June. What I've done is sown mixed annual seeds around the edges, plus I've planted some pansies that had self seeded in that bed anyway and a self-seeded aquilegia. I'm going to plant the broad beans amongst them. Hopefully, the flowers will stay quite small until it's time to pull the broad beans up and then take over. This will probably cost me a small amount of the broad bean yield, but I think that amount should be worth it for the joy of the flowers. Things aren't so bad yet that I can't have flowers any more.
In other news: I have realised it was a stupid idea to put autumn-planted onions in front of the compost heap. I've going to have a hell of a job getting the compost out to fertilise my garden with without damaging them. I should have left the space for something that goes in in May or later (or at the very least April).
Having learnt the lessons of previous years, I'm also regularly watering all the seeds I've planted from the water butts. If I didn't have those, I'd need to use the hose. It's hot and dry like summer at the moment, so the seeds and seedlings need watering as if it were summer. And even if it were just dry, they'd still need watering. It makes a huge difference to how well seeds germinate and grow.


No comments:

Post a Comment