Wednesday 22 October 2014

Adding browns to my compost heap (a small shrub bites the dust)

I took a couple of days off work this week because I've been having trouble with my back and I wanted to give it a chance to settle. On the other hand, I also got some new meds from the doctor that made my pain feel a bit better, so I decided to spend the time doing some gardening – possibly not technically the best idea for me physically, but a great idea for my sanity; not being able to do anything that increases my pain (i.e. anything at all) does not make me a happy bunny.
We have a lot of large shrubs and trees in the garden that need to go. We're getting the people who are replacing the fence to remove the trees, but that still leaves a lot of mature shrubs that need to go, so I decided to start with a small one:
I chopped all the branches off with secateurs.
Then I sawed off the stump with a little saw thing.
I took the bin off the compost heap and chopped the twigs and branches onto the heap with secateurs.
Then I mixed it all up with a fork (as it was mainly vegetable peelings and grass in there before - i.e. greens) and added some worms I found when I was pulling up some weeds by the back fence (because worms are good for composting).
Then I put the bin back on. What I didn't do was water it, because I'd forgotten that part of the instructions for making compost. I've got to try and remember to do that tomorrow (which might encourage it to do the hot composting thing, but hopefully the worms will escape before it gets too hot for them).
Overall, the small bush has now gone. Except the roots, which I left in the ground to rot down before I try and remove them, as my back's definitely not up to removing them straight away any more, as that's quite some hard work. And my back doesn't feel too bad considering either - only a little bit of pain and I'm not expecting too much difficulty sleeping on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment