Sunday 2 November 2014

Back of the envelope design for the garden

I've been thinking about how the garden needs to work for me and started sketching things out on scraps of paper. I need to do more work on a couple of fronts (firstly, precise lengths and secondly making sure I've thought of all the plants and infrastructure I'm going to want, particularly plants). What I've taken into account so far is that I need somewhere to hang the washing out on the washing line (which lives in the shed for aesethetic reasons and to stop it getting dirty when not in use). I've thought long and hard about it, and I also think I need grass or grass-like plants under the washing line so that when I drop washing on the ground it doesn't automatically need to go through the wash again. Secondly, I want raised beds for my crop rotation. What I haven't yet worked out is where I should have my perennials, shrubs and trees (fruit bushes and trees, asparagus etc.) and whether they can go at the ends of my crop rotation beds or if I need something separate for them. So, here's the preliminary plan:
The two big squares at the front of the plan represent the shed plus the space next to it. The round space in the middle is where I'm going to have the washing line with camomile and other grass-replacement plants under it. The bits around it are my raised beds and then the strip right at the top is my existing concrete strip right by the house. This doesn't take full account of the existing infrastructure, which includes a concrete path I'd like taken out. It also assumes it's always going to be OK to walk on my lawn to get to the shed or the back of the garden, whereas I might instead need some sort of path or stepping stones.
Here's the garden as it currently is (also back of the envelope stuff):
The next stage is to draw the existing garden in Sketchup and then use that to draw more designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment