Sunday 30 November 2014

Gardening with my subconscious

I was putting some daffodil bulbs in the front garden when a light bulb went off in my brain. My onion sets are bulbs, I should probably be planting them at this time of year, not in the spring like my other veg.
So I looked on the packet I bought from Wilkinson's a few weeks back, and sure enough it said the last month for planting them was December. Good thinking, brain!
My brain also had plans for where they should go. I thought about how much trouble my back's been lately and how much work major changes to the layout to the garden were going to be, and came to the conclusion that getting rid of the existing shrubs was quite enough work for this year, so I needed to work with what was already there. My first thought was I'd put them where I'd just taken the small bush out:

In fact, my brain went so far as to refuse to consider any other options for them. It didn't even occur to me that there were other ready-to-plant areas in the garden until my other half came out after lunch to see what I was up to and mentioned he was glad I wasn't planting in the vegetable patch at the back of the garden, as that was going to get all trampled up when the cupboards for the new kitchen were brought in through the new garden gate next week.
Possibly that was just forgetfulness, possibly it was my subconscious doing the thinking for me so my conscious brain doesn't have to. I'm going to choose to go with the latter.
Anyhow, I decided that my subconscious could also decide how I was going to plant the mixed assortment of onions (red, white and yellow). I thought up a couple of possibilities and then asked myself if I'd feel disappointed with my choice if I took that option. In the end I decided to plant them in diagonals of red, white and yellow (from left to right) when that scheme made me positively glow with contentment.
I'm hoping they're going to look like ornamental alliums planted in drifts.
After I'd planted them I remembered that I was supposed to be adding organic matter, I also remembered that my veg growing class told us that compost will work its way into soil if just dumped on the top of it and I also remembered I really want to avoid digging because it messes my back up, so I just shovelled some on top.
Well, I say shovelled, transporting compost from one end of the garden forkful by forkful is a bit of a pain, so I emptied out a large flowerpot to use to bring it and discovered another huge colony of snails.
I didn't think a single garden could support so many snails. I disposed of them the organic way (water and washing-up liquid).

No comments:

Post a Comment