Saturday 6 December 2014

Frozen dandelions

I've been putting my dandelions and dandelion roots in water to drown them like they told me to do on the gardening course, so that they can go on the compost heap without risk of them being able to grow again.

We've just had the first frost of the year and I found them completely frozen over this morning.
I can't make up my mind whether this means they're now thoroughly dead or whether it's maybe even delayed the process of their destruction. Given what a healthy green that leaf looks and given that dandelions have no problem surviving England's usual frosts, I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and assume the freezing is if anything prolonging their survival.

I'm not actually sure I was supposed to drown the leaves as well, but I didn't want to take any chances. Dandelions are hardy and persistent weeds with the ability to grow again from just the tiniest bit of root.

No comments:

Post a Comment