Sunday 21 December 2014

Someone's stolen our washing line hole

It occurred to me that as I'm turning 40 in the summer and want to have a party to celebrate, it might pay not to turn the entire garden into a giant vegetable patch yet. Looking out the window I saw this:

and it struck me that it already looked like someone had started a bed along our right-hand fence. So, new plan: instead of putting raised beds all over the garden in 2015, I'll save that for 2016 and just turn the strip down the right-hand fence into a bed for next year. It'll also be a darn sight more manageable, given the fact that my back currently only permits me to dig for two minutes at a time. Also, the fact that I was planning to replace our grass lawn with a non-grass lawn (made of chamomile etc.) means that I don't even have to be careful to preserve areas that I ultimately want to be lawn. When I thought about it a bit longer though, I realised that my original plan of having lawn under the washing line was still valid, as dropping the washing on lawn is less likely to result in needing to put it back through the wash than dropping it on soil is. That made me think that leaving the lawn all the way back to the fence at the level of the washing line was a good idea.

It was at about that time that I spotted the cover to the hole for the washing line lolling near the fence. The washing line itself spends most of its time in the shed for both practical and aesthetic reasons (practical reason: it stays much cleaner in there and doesn't gain grime that transfers to the washing). So I went to look for the hole it goes in. That was when I discovered that the hole was missing. The other half, who dug the hole for the holder in the first place, says it was a b**** to get in, so if anyone's had the gumption* to steal it, he's impressed. In the next breath he said not to worry, he'll find it again, that thing was a b**** to put in.

* Not his actual words. The other half doesn't use words that sound like they come from a 1950s children's novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment