Sunday 24 May 2015

First flowers in the vegetable garden

My first flowers are out. My courgette is very much at the bud stage, but I'm pretty sure these are going to become the flowers which will grow courgettes behind them. Like tomatoes and squash/pumpkins, courgettes are also technically fruit, i.e. they contain the plant's seed.
I have flowers on my broad beans, which will eventually open and then turn into the broad beans and their pods (the broad bean pods are the seed pods and the broad beans the seeds). We only eat the beans in broad beans, so I think we can properly class them as a vegetable, but I wonder with mange tout, where you eat the pod as well as the immature peas (seeds) inside whether what we're eating should technically be classified as a fruit. Then again, I wonder whether this distinction is worth wondering about at all.
My turnips have also flowered. I've never grown turnips before, so I hope this is a normal part of the process. The turnip is the root of the plant. I've no idea what the flowers turn into. I've scattered some bone meal to promote strong root growth, as last year I suffered from not fertilising my veg enough and got a poor crop.

No comments:

Post a Comment