Saturday 27 February 2016

Out with the old, in with the new

I've been having a bit of a clear up this weekend. This time it was the turn of the brassicas.
I've completely removed the kale, as most of it had bolted. The bolted (flowering) kale has gone into the compost heap and the rest has come into the kitchen to be eaten for tea, along with a couple of pieces of purple sprouting broccoli. The broccoli has survived the clear up so far because I found a couple more edible pieces, so I thought I'd give it a shot at producing a bit more.
But I've cleared the rest of the area and planted some broad beans I got at a local seed swap last night.
I've learnt from last year, so my label is therefore part way along the row and not braving the lawnmower right next to the grass (I now have a large number of snapped labels, which is a bit of a shame, as I bought them to be reusable).
My other half did the hard work clearing the bushes from the other side of the garden and then I finished it off with a final dig in of fish, blood and bone, chicken manure and some compost and a bit of a rake, before planting some radishes. That's me done now till March. Yay, two whole days off!



No comments:

Post a Comment