Wednesday 20 August 2014

Beetroot harvest & hardly-any-chicken soup recipe

I harvested some beetroot today, as a couple of them looked like they'd got to a fairly decent size.
I had a plan for them, I decided I was going to make hardly-any-chicken soup, which is a recipe I made up to use up the chicken carcass after we've had roast chicken (although it's actually heavily reliant on beetroot for its taste, so would probably taste fine in a vegan version if you replaced the chicken stock with either vegetable stock or just boiling water and a bit of olive oil (the fat it gets from the chicken gives it a good mouth feel, so a vegan version should include at least some olive oil).
When I pulled up the beetroot though, it turned out that something had already taken chunks out of them. I'm guessing slugs or snails.

My other half almost refused to eat them when he saw them, but I persuaded him I could cut the damaged parts out. Most of the veg I've produced so far has at least been nibbled by something by the time I got to it and I don't see that changing in the future unless I start spraying with chemicals, which is something I'm hoping to avoid.
After I'd peeled them and cut the damaged parts away there wasn't much left, so I was a bit worried that there wouldn't enough beetroot to make the soup work. I made it with pre-cooked beetroot once and it was a shadow of its normal self, so a strong beetroot flavour is vital. Fortunately - as you can see from the colour - my two small pest-eaten beetroots did prove to be enough. So, here's the recipe for you:
Hardly-Any-Chicken Soup
1 chicken carcass from a roast chicken stripped of almost all meat, but still with as much skin, fat and juices as possible
4 small potatoes (ideally leftover roast potatoes)
1 onion
1 butternut squash
1 medium beetroot (raw)
1 medium turnip
2 large carrots
2 tbsp chopped parsley (frozen is fine)
salt and pepper
optionally 20 shakes of Worcester sauce
1. Boil kettle full of water.
2. Put the chicken carcass (including leftover skin, fat and juices) in a large saucepan. Pour boiling water over it until saucepan is about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Bring to boil, then gently simmer, ideally for an hour, but half an hour seems to work OK too. If using raw potatoes, peel, chop fairly small and add to the pot for the last 20 minutes.
3. Remove chicken carcass (and any potatoes cooked with it) to a plate and pour the liquid (the chicken stock) through a sieve into another large saucepan.
5. Cut the butternut squash in half, scoop out the seeds, peel the two halves, then chop into chunks of about 1 cm cubed. Chop the onion very small. Add some fat (chicken fat, butter or olive oil) to the saucepan you originally cooked the chicken stock in (to save washing up rather than for flavour reasons) and then fry the onion and butternut squash in it until soft (c. 15 minutes).
6. Meanwhile, peel and chop the beetroot, turnip and carrots into small pieces.
7. Bring the soup liquid back to the boil. Add the beetroot, turnip and carrots and boil for 10 minutes.
8. Pick any remaining chicken off the chicken carcass (not any skin or gristle) and add to the soup.
9. Crumble the potatoes into the soup.
9. Once they're soft, add the onions and butternut squash to the soup, then add parsley, salt and pepper and optionally Worcester sauce.
10. Serve with buttered crusty bread or granary bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment