Thursday 7 August 2014

White Turnip radishes – my verdict

I picked some more radishes yesterday. The majority of them were the White Turnip variety again, as have been the majority of the radishes I've picked so far even though they only made up 13% of the seed mix. I guess that means a lot of them germinate and they grow quickly so they're never the one I thin out.

The problem is that I've picked the lion's share of them after they were well past their best. I don't seem to notice they're ready to pick before they're practically ready to collect their bus passes.

This time's crop were tough and woody, too peppery and an unattractive shade of off-beige (admittedly slicing them thinly would have helped on all those counts, but I realised that after I'd already ruined my salad).
Even when I do catch them when they're still a pretty shade of off-white, they're too small to eat and still don't even look as pretty as the red and pink varieties.


So my overall verdict is this: Next time I'm going to look for radish seeds that don't include White Turnip. Sure, they've got good qualities (germinate well, grow quickly), but those are more than outweighed by my inability to pick them while they're still worth eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment