Saturday 4 April 2015

Badly designed slug pellet container

Some of my brassica seedlings are already being decimated by slugs and snails. I'm not sure if my purple sprouting broccoli is more delicious than my other seedlings or whether it's just nearer where my slugs and snails live, but either way it's looking very nibbled and in danger of not surviving. So I decided to sprinkle a few slug pellets.
 Unfortunately the container had other ideas. The insert in the top was so loose, it flew out when I shook the holder and I ended up with a scatter pattern like a toddler let loose with the hundreds and thousands.
To name and shame in the hope they do something to fix it, the faulty product was Verve slug and snail killer.
I scooped up as many as I could from the garden, hopefully without disturbing too many of the seeds I've planted. It's still way too thickly pelleted though. I feel doubly bad about this, as my neighbour shortly afterwards told me that blindness is becoming an increasing problem among hedgehogs, and it's not a massive leap to imagine the problem could be caused by the hedgehogs eating poisoned slugs (correlation is not causation, and I don't even know for certain that there's correlation, but this is definitely a case of humans chemically manipulating their environment, and that sort of thing is likely to have unintended consequences).
I've made an attempt to fix the slug pellet container as well.
I've put a couple of strips of gaffer tape around the inside of the rim of the container to try and make the space the insert fits into smaller, then rammed the insert back in. It might not be quite enough to hold it in next time. I couldn't just tape it on over the top though, as the thread for the screw top is just round the edge of the rim.

I have also bought some horse manure of the same brand, but that seems fine so far. It smells plenty like farmyards, making me think that it's probably not been hot composted (this is a guess based on things I've read on the Internet, so I may be talking a load of baloney here), but it looks quite broken down and like something that my plants would welcome, even if my neighbours might not be quite so keen on the pungent pong of eau de merde floating over my fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment