Friday 3 April 2015

What different types of seedling look like

I planted a load of seeds on 20 March, just before we went on holiday. Then I brought them in to the dining room table, turned the heating off while we were away and left them. Despite me turning the heating off, quite a lot of them have now come up and they look surprisingly different to each other and not like my husband was expecting at all (he was expecting them to look like mini versions of the big plant, not to have their special seed leaves (cotyledons)). Here are the seedlings that have come up so far:
Mangetout seedlings (Carouby de Maussane)


Slightly older mangetout seedlings (6 April 2015)
Tall peas - mangetout - Carouby de Maussane

Pea seedlings (Ne plus ultra)
and the really not significantly different tall peas 'Ne plus ultra',
Runner bean seedling
but the delightfully different and dragon-like runner bean.

Kale seedlings (Russo-Siberian "Red Russian")
These kale seedlings - Russo-Siberian "Red Russian" look far more like I expect seedlings to look.

Tomato seedlings (Moneymaker)
And these tomato seedlings (Moneymaker) are exactly what I'd think of if you just told be to think of a seedling.

Tomato seedlings in a propagator
I actually grew these in a little (unheated) propagator that I picked up cheap on sale at B&Q last year. I'm not sure it made a blind bit of difference. The other three types of seeds I planted in the propagator still hadn't come up by 3 April, whereas plenty of the ones I planted with no extra protection have.

Courgette seedling (Tondo di Piacenza)
Courgette seedlings (Tondo di Piacenza) - including one that was pulled out showing its roots

Courgette seedlings potted on into toilet rolls on top of 4 inch pots to try and make sure there's as much room as possible for them to grow long roots.
The most exciting seedlings are my courgettes (Tondo di Piacenza). It doesn't show up well in the photo, but when the light shines on them they are positively luminous and also they shot up that huge head with leaves about as long as a two pence piece in less than 48 hours.

Sweet corn seedling (Golden Bantam)
Sweet corn seedling with leaf (Golden Bantam) (6 April 2015)
My initially least exciting seedling was my sweet corn (Golden Bantam), until it got a few days older and popped out its first leaf.

Celery seedlings (Green Sleeves) (6 April 2015)
My celery seedlings are still tiny and took 15 days to come up at all and then stayed much smaller than my other seedlings.

Cayenne pepper seedlings (6 April 2015)
My cayenne pepper seedling appeared looking just as tiny a few hours after the celery seedlings, but soon outstripped them in size, so as of 6 April I'm only waiting for my bell peppers to appear in my propagators, and I can see signs that some of those are about to break through.

Carrot seedlings
And now we move on to my outdoor seedlings. Here are my carrots, which are going to need thinning, which always makes me feel immensely guilty (which is weird, as I have no guilt feelings about pulling weeds up - it must be the waste of potential, each one I thin could have been a carrot!).

Radish seedlings (Scarlet Globe)
My radish seedlings have been in the ground for some time and are growing under horticultural fleece. They've only suffered minor slug damage and some of the ones in the picture have grown their first true leaves as well as their seed leaves.

Kohl rabi seedlings
My kohl rabi seedlings look pretty similar, but they're tinged with purple and have been attacked by slugs already. I've now scattered slug pellets (see next post).

Turnip seedlings (Purple Top Milan)
My turnip seedlings also look pretty much identical.

Kale seedlings (Dwarf Green Curled)
As do my kale seedlings. It must be a brassicas thing.

My lettuce seedlings look a bit different though:
Lollo rosso seedlings

No comments:

Post a Comment