Sunday 12 April 2015

Lots more seeds planted

I've had a big planting day today. I put in all the seeds that needed to be started in April (and also accidentally some fennel seeds that weren't supposed to go in until May, as I planted first and read the packet properly second). I even noticed I'd very cleverly written on my broad bean packet that I was supposed to be doing another planting on 14 April and another on 14 May, so I figured today was close enough and stuck some more in. Excitingly, the broad bean seeds I planted almost a month ago have finally sprouted, and they look huge and gorgeous (I find vegetable seedlings that don't look like standard seedlings incredibly exciting, especially if they're huge).
Broad bean seedling
Broad bean seedling
The copper coloured thing is a slug ring to try and protect them from slugs and snails, but actually I didn't place them very well and there hasn't  been any slug damage yet anyhow. Mind you, I have been on the rampage and quite aside from my misadventures with slug pellets, have been manually killing every snail I've seen in the garden this year (by drowning or by crushing to death with shoe or stone). Still, early days yet, so I've positioned the slug rings more carefully to try and avoid the death by slug my runner beans suffered last year.

In other news, look how well  my onions have come along since January:
Onions now (April)

Onions in January

No comments:

Post a Comment