Saturday 19 March 2016

Squash bottle cloches

I planted my lettuces under cloches made of squash bottles today. About 20% of the reason I did this was to help warm the soil and encourage the lettuce to grow earlier. About 80% of the reason was slugs and snails, as cloches are the only way I've managed to stop slugs and snails from eating my lettuce seedlings. Even if I put them in squash bottles with the tops cut off and the rims cut into sharp corners, my slugs and snails just climb over them and start chomping.
We did quite a lot of digging, raking, weeding and adding chicken manure pellets to get the bed ready for planting and we've now cleared out so much of the beds that the compost heap is finally full.
We reckon it'll only be a couple of weeks before it's all rotted down and we can fit some more in though. I've come to see the compost bin as almost magic, it reduces what's in it so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment