Sunday 27 March 2016

The garden battered by Storm Katie

Before the storm rolled in, we had a mini precursor of wind and rain followed by sunshine, which left my plastic cloches wihout its plastic. Fortunately, no real harm was done, as it's protecting brassicas and they're a pretty hardy lot.
I responded by moving where I had my metal pegs, so there's now two at each end a few cm apart (alhough I had to remove one from the bamboo runner to do this, as I didn't have any spares). This seemed pretty successful, as the plastic remained more or less pinned through he ravages of Storm Katie with winds uo to 60 mph last night. OK, they didn't survive fully intact, but better than I'd expected.
Even the squash bottle cloches at the back only lost a couple, which didn't go very far.
I've now cleared the area at the back behind the apple tree. I've planted clover seeds around the tree itself because I hope that they will not grow so high it needs mowing. I didn't sow any right at the back because the plan is to move the compost heap there, as it's the least sunny corner of the garden, and although compost heaps also benefit from sunshine, my plants like it even more.
My seedlings I planted indoors have also started growing. It doesn't matter how often I plant seeds, I still find it exciting to see them come up, especially when the sun shines on them. Peas are particularly good because of how quickly they get big. The one in the front there only started showing through the soil at all two or three days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment