Saturday 12 March 2016

Digging the beds

I'm not the only one who digs in my garden. Something has been digging in my strawberry bed.
Yesterday it was level, with clean, neatly spaced strawberry plants. I've done my best to put the earth back and I also buried some spiny sticks in there to deter anything digging with paws. They're not terribly spiny, but the best I've got at the moment. Things love digging up the earth in my front garden too and I find the properly spiny sticks are moderately successful, but only slightly spiny sticks not much of a deterrent. I'll probably stick some rose stems in later in the year, but for now these are the best I've got as I don't trust the brambles I dug up today not to start growing if I bury their stems.
I've been digging the garden too. I dug in some chicken manure pellets and fish, blood and bone before planting my brassicas that can be planted in March. I put a polytunnel cloche over the top, as I had one in the shed that I had no particular plans for and I hope it will encourage my plants to come up a bit earlier.
My radishes have started coming up already, both inside and outside my glass bell cloches, although they seem a tiny bit further advanced inside them.

No comments:

Post a Comment