Sunday 22 July 2018

Garden beating expectations

Apart from my carrots, which we won't dwell on, the garden is massively exceeding the expectations I had of it at the beginning of the season. Because I started late and then had to restart several squash plants after slug damage, I was worried that I might have a poor season and not get a decent harvest. Well, my garden has set out to prove me wrong. With my regular watering and all this hot weather and sunshine, almost everything is flourishing.
I've harvested around half my onions, so that I could use the space for more beetroot. They've come out a decent size this year and none of them went to seed.
I've also got at least one squash that looks like it's going to be a decent size.
My raspberries have grown really well, considering how little I've watered them. I've had a few ripen already.
More of my kohl rabi is ready to eat - I need to remember to have salad next week, possibly with raw courgette in it. I'm producing so many of them.
The lettuce I grew in pots is working out far better than when I grow it in the ground - far less slug damage.
My sweet corn has grown cobs already, though they're not ready to harvest yet.
My beans have grown flowers, even though I planted them so late.

And I have my first pepper growing in the greenhouse. It is a banana pepper and will go yellow when it's ripe.
Overall, I'm very pleased with my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment