Sunday 8 July 2018

Heatwave dries out the garden, solar panels installed

London has been in a heatwave with no rain for several weeks now. I've been watering the vegetables, because they won't survive without watering, but I've left everything else. As a result, I now have huge vegetable plants and yellowing grass. But that's OK, grass is hardy, it can survive any weather Britain throws at it. It'll green up again as soon as we get some rain.

The pond is also suffering badly. Several inches of water have evaporated.
I have no rainwater left in my water butts, so I am currently letting water sit for 24 hours in the watering can to replenish the pond, as no rain is expected.
In a move to harness all this sun, we have a new addition to the shed. My husband has added solar panels. He designed and built the stand they are on so that they take maximum advantage of the sun. It has three positions: the middle one (in the picture) is angled to capture maximum summer sun, there's an even steeper angle for winter sun and flat against the shed roof so they can weather storms without getting blown away.

He also built us a log store. I've got to say, I'm really impressed with all his woodwork, especially as he works in a completely unrelated field. The log store in particular looks very smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment